Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chili for dinner

I haven't made chili for a while so this chilly weather felt like the perfect time do so so. Contrary to conventional wisdom you do not have to cook chili for hours to get great results. I personally do not like fire-hot chili, in fact I like it a tad sweet. I use chop meat, not the lean meat either, and after I brown it, I drain off the fat. I add in the chopped green pepper, then the chopped white onion and then the garlic to cook along with the meat. I add Goya canned red beans (I love Goya products) and canned crushed tomatoes (Red Pack is good or any well known brand). Then the chili powder and other seasonings as desired (pepper, maybe a pinch of sugar and salt). Let it simmer at least a half hour, stirring often, add a little water if needed and taste until it is cooked to your liking. You can serve it with white rice and/or a salad but I like it just as it is and the left overs are even better!

I've mentioned Pamela's products before and I enjoy her cookies as well. Try the peanut butter or the expresso cookies or the chocolate chip cookies. They are all excellent. I also make muffins with her baking mix, adding raisins, walnuts and a bit of spice. Wonderful!

No comments: