Saturday, January 19, 2008

Brussel Sprouts

Here is another example of how I adapted a recipe more to my liking. It called for bottle chestnuts which I did not come across. I cut up the red pepper in strips but also added yellow pepper and may have added green pepper as well. It calls for garlic, I may have added white onion. All these veggies go well together, especially since you are coating them with the extra virgin olive oil. Salt, pepper and the best part-caraway seeds. They add a most wonderful flavor. If you are like me and miss rye bread, it was the caraway seeds that make that bread so good. This recipe does require me to take all the pots and pans out of my oven and cook it at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, stirring as needed. This is high in fiber, can't eat too much at a time but you will want to!
I am guilty of running (not literally) through the supermarket and grabbing the familiar items I usually make. So I treated myself to a pretty recipe file and I try to go through it from time to time to choose one of the recipes in it and write down what I need to buy for it. Even if I don't get the items that day, it is written down and sooner or later I will make that recipe.

No comments: