Friday, February 1, 2008

Super Bowl Meal

I think of chili as an appropriate super bowl meal. Some corn bread, a salad and your favorite drink. However, I think it is time to make those meatballs this Sunday. I'll cook them in the oven (shock) because they will be nice and soft that way. I'm trying to be creative and come up with an alternative to pasta with marinara sauce. I'll have to dig out the cookbooks and see if anything catches my eye. I'd like some wide noodles and some greens but I'm not sure what would be best. And I still have to make dinner for Saturday. It is too easy to get in a rut and there are so many wonderful fresh vegetables to experiment with. I haven't steamed cauliflower in a while. It is nice with pasta and sauce. Master the possibilities is not just a slogan for Mastercard. It is a way to approach cooking and food with an eye towards healthy eating and variety.
After going through my recipes I came across Mexican Meatball Soup. Sure enough, the recipe was recommended as a Super Bowl half time soup to be served with a make-your-own-sub bar. For me the soup is enough. You mix the lean chopmeat with uncooked rice, cilantro and seasonings and add it to the soup mix the last 20 minutes. I did make this once before and I used regular chop meat. This is described as a hefty soup. It's called Albondigas.

No comments: